Laminar Case Study
Touchdown established Laminar as a top resource for reporters and analysts covering cloud data security and the emerging DSPM space
Find out how Touchdown helped to build Laminar’s brand awareness for its launch from stealth using a three-pronged approach to target relevant media and analysts, focusing on the funding, the technology and the founders. And, explore how our team used a mix of both proactive and reactive tactics to establish a regular cadence of coverage.
Project date: 2023
Client website: www.laminarsecurity.com
Sector: Data Security
The Touchdown team built the Laminar PR program from the ground up. Beginning when the company launched from stealth to its exit when it was acquired by Rubrik, the Touchdown team maintained a consistent cadence of coverage, briefings, awards and speaking opportunities. As a result, Laminar has become an established thought leader in the cloud security and data security posture management (DSPM) space.
– Build brand awareness from the ground up starting with Laminar’s launch from stealth
– Establish Laminar as a go-to resource for reporters and analysts covering cloud security and the emerging DSPM space
As a result of Touchdown’s strong relationships with former clients, the Touchdown team was approached in September 2021 to assist with Laminar’s launch out of stealth. Laminar’s launch came at a time where the DSPM category was emerging and several other Israeli-based startups with similar product offerings were also going-to-market.
With no media recognition, the Touchdown team was tasked with helping Laminar stand out against new competitors such as Cyera and Dasera and established companies with adjacent cloud security offerings such as Wiz and Orca Security.
Post-launch, the Touchdown team had to continue momentum with a regular cadence of coverage.
For the initial launch from stealth, Touchdown used a three-pronged pitch approach to target relevant media and analysts focusing on the funding, the technology and the founders. As a result, the Touchdown team earned over 20+ pieces of coverage and 8 briefings.
Following the launch, the Touchdown team used a mix of both proactive and reactive tactics to establish a regular cadence of coverage. Strategy included:
– Creating Laminar’s social media presence by curating LinkedIn and Twitter posts during the first 9 months post-launch, earning the company hundreds of new followers
– Monitoring the news to draft commentary on relevant breaking or trending items for Laminar thought leaders, earning coverage in top trade publications such as SC Magazine, SecurityWeek, Dark Reading, and more
– Looking for opportunities for founders Amit Shaked and Oran Avraham to highlight their expertise in cloud data security, building and launching a startup, being founders under 30, etc.
Consistent News Pipeline
– Identifying opportunities for press releases and maintaining a consistent news pipeline, drafting the press releases, and pitching out to media and analysts on average once or twice a quarter
– Creating the annual State of the Public Cloud Data Security Report, where the Touchdown team was responsible for drafting the questions, working with a third-party survey vendor to get responses, drafting the report, press releases and accompanying blog and pitching the findings to media and analysts
– Pulling together floor surveys for key conferences such as RSAC and Black Hat, curating the questions, pulling together the press release, and pitching the findings to media and analysts
– Pitching for briefings with Laminar thought leaders at relevant trade shows such as RSAC, Black Hat, InfoSec Europe, etc.
– Identifying relevant award and speaking opportunities, drafting submissions and speaking abstracts
Pieces of Coverage
% SOV Each Month
The Touchdown team maintained a well-rounded PR program for Laminar from its initial launch to its exit with its acquisition by Rubrik, earning an average of 36% SOV each quarter.
– 376 pieces of coverage since beginning the program in November of 2021
– Over 25+ briefings
– Appearance in the following tier-1 business and trade publications: Fortune, Help Net Security, TechCrunch, CRN, Forbes, Dark Reading, The Record
– An average of 36% SOV each month across Data Security/Data Loss Prevention, Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM), and Data Governance